December 11, 2008

Beautiful & Inspired

Since I started the blog, I knew I wanted to post something special today.  However, with my crummy work schedule, I was fearful that I wouldn't have time to write something deserving.  Luckily, when I woke up tonight, there was an e-mail from my beloved sister that was so beautifully written, I knew it was God giving me what I had wanted to be able to give all of you.  Katy Beth, thank you so much for writing this beautiful and eloquent entry!

As I sit here on the 3rd anniversary of the greatest tragedy one side of my family has known, I have to sit and reflect on what we have done in these last 3 years.  Some of us have moved away.  Some of us have gotten married.  And some of us have had children.  I believe all of us have made our own personal journey of making every day count.  And I am so so so proud to be a part of this family.  All I can do today is sit here and think: Would they be proud of us?  Would they see how far we have come?  Would next year be any easier than the last?  And first and foremost: Are WE proud of us?  Do we all realize how much we have accomplished in the last 3 years?  We have welcomed so many new people in this family.  Whether through marriage or through births.  Despite all that has happened, we continue to grow and carry on as I believe our grandparents, parents, uncle, father, brother, mother, sister and friends would have prayed and hope we would.  Yes, we have had to deal with tragedy.  But through that tragedy we have BLOOMED.  We have learned to appreciate each day as a special gift.  We look at our children and our families with just a little more tenderness in our hearts.  We try just a little harder each day to smile and to make others smile.  even though I cried throughout the day today, as I'm sure I will every year on this day, I know in my heart of hearts that I will see those that I miss so much someday.  I have no doubt that as they look down upon us, Gramps is telling Davey: "Good work marrying that pretty little girl of yours".  Grams is telling Kris, Karyn, Daniel and Matthew: "Your children are so beautiful!"  And Mark is looking down at Beth, Matt and Karyn and telling them: "You have made such wonderful choices for additions to our family".  I know there are so many more stories that have happened in the last 3 years.  Änna as moved halfway across the country, as has Abigail.  I started school and I'm now almost done.  Beka is about to graduate college.  Karyn and Mike now live in the home where we all used to put on Christmas pageants and the "Scissor Sisters" (Kris and I) used to perform dance routines (always practiced in the basement beforehand, of course).  I wonder if any of these same things will happen for this next generation that we have started to produce.  I hope that we can pass on the wonderful things the G'ma, G'pa and Mark gave to all of us.  From making lefsa and potato sausage, to giving a helping hand to those in need.  As we get ready to start another new year, I hope that this next one will find you all happy and healthy, and looking ahead to a bright future.  I hope that your road is smooth, and when it gets rough you know that you have a great support system in Heaven and on earth.  I love you all so much.  

Katy

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Katy, thank you so much -- i thought i was done with tears for a while, but these tears were perfect. and through a huge grin! ~Abigail